Thursday 22 February 2007

Web Site Review: Trovit Cars

No real news to report, other than that I did manage to meet potential future boss #1. It turns out he was waiting for me to get back to him, so I've confirmed that I'm interested in the job we discussed. Hopefully things will move on more quickly from here.

I thought that I would post a few thoughts on some of the websites that I've been perusing over the last few weeks.

URL: cars.trovit.co.uk

A site index rather than a site as such, which I normally find very irritating. Trovit have one useful feature though - they group the cars by various categories and allow you to restrict the search by clicking on the appropriate options. They also show how many cars are in each category (price, fuel, no of doors, mileage, fuel & transmission), which I found very useful. The data collection engine seems a bit flakey, though, as it hadn't captured the mileage or transmission of any of the 406 coupés that it found.

Most of the cars found were actually listed on 'preloved', 'gumtree' or on Ebay. The one car that caught my eye, a 2001 2.0 SE at £3980, was actually advertised on Preloved, but I also found it on Autotrader when I looked more closely.

I think the site might be a UK implementation of an American site, as it had mileages in km (the Yanks seem to think that everyone in Europe uses kilometres), but sorted fuel types into 'diesel' and 'gasoline'. Strange.

No comments: