Wednesday 7 February 2007

Size Matters

I spoke to Alan at Essex LPG. He tells me that the standard spare-wheel-well tank is 60 litres, and that in-boot tanks can go up to 90. If I really want the range I can do what he's done to his Xantia and fit both, giving a total capacity of 150 litres. This would cost £300 or so extra.

Autogas tanks only fill to around 80% of nominal capacity, so this would allow 120 litres (26 gallons) of fuel to be carried. At 25 mpg that's 650 miles.

I'll be doing up to 110 miles a day, so the 60-litre tank's 265-mile range isn't too great. The question is whether it's worth forfeiting the boot space to have a 90-litre tank and a 400 mile range. I'd also still be able to carry a spare wheel in this configuration, although I've only ever used a spare on the road once in the last 300,000 miles.

I'm still hoping to see a car tomorrow, although the one I mentioned here has disappeared from the dealer's website. I'll try and judge the amount of space a 90-litre tank might take up.

No comments: