Thursday 1 March 2007

Decisions, decisions

I've been keeping a note of the various different cars that I've found for sale for a few weeks now. It started as a way of checking what combinations of mileage and age was associated with different price levels, but I've recently been trying to create some sort of objective scoring system to help me decide between them.

I mentioned earlier that I would be targeting a 2000(X) or newer 2.0 with 80,000 miles for around £3500. I've listed the various cars and allocated points for being better or worse than this reference point in each respect. I've also decided that the extra toys on the SE model might be nice to have, so there's a point for that too.

Currently top of the list are two cars. Both are the same age (2000); the key points are:

73,000 miles, red bodywork, SE model, leather seats at £3899
- vs -
54,000 miles, silver, 2.0S with cloth seats for £3995.

I'm assuming that I can knock a couple of hundred at least of the advertised prices - I spoke to a dealer in Birmingham last week to ask if a car he had came with a sunroof (it did); he was advertising at £3999 but said he'd probably accept £3500 if I was carrying cash.

The key question is whether the toys on the SE are worth as much as 19,000 miles? The head says no, but I'm not sure... The Parker's guide would have 20k miles being worth about £500 on the price.

So - which way to go?

No comments: