Thursday 15 March 2007

Better Decisions

I mentioned here that I had been trying to create a ranking system to help me rate the merits of the various cars that I've found around the patch.

I was worried that my system of awarding points was a little unscientific and took no account of a car's price, so I've had another go.

I've adjusted the screen price of each car to allow for various factors as follows:

  • Each year of age - £700
  • Each 10,000 miles - £250
  • SE Model + £600
  • Private Seller - £500
The top car according to the adjusted price is a blue 2001 2.0 'S' that was already near the top of my list, but for an adjusted price of less than £300 more I can have my choice of five cars, including the red SE model I mentioned last time. The cars in second to fifth all come within £100 of each other.

In some ways, this doesn't make the decision any easier, but I now feel I can buy any of those cars and feel that my choice has been a reasonable one.

No comments: