Thursday 24 May 2007

Strange Goings-on in the Fuel Tank

When I got the Coupé back from Essex LPG, there was very little petrol left in the tank. It uses petrol to start the engine and pressurise the LPG fuel lines, so I put £10-worth in.

I noticed on Wednesday that the fuel gauge was gradually drifting downwards, and by the time I got back from Norfolk it was firmly below the red line. The fuel computer’s estimate of remaining range was also dropping, but only by about a quarter of the actual distance I was covering.

This morning the fuel computer insisted that there was zero range remaining, and the petrol gauge remained firmly stuck to the bottom of the red line, so I added £15-worth. I was surprised to see this moved the needle to the half-tank level...

Talking to Alan this morning, it seems that both the gauge and the computer update themselves by monitoring how much fuel is supplied to the engine, and only reset when more fuel is added to the tank. Unaware that what is being supplied is Autogas rather than unleaded, they then show inaccurate figures.

I’m sure that there is more to this than I’m aware of at the moment, but for now it seems the only way to find out how much petrol I’ve got is to add some more…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have the same problem with a Lexus - it is not using petrol although the computer systems think it is. Again I have been told that the only way to accurately check the fuel level is to put a couple of litres in the tank to reset the system. It is very unnerving to drive along with the gauge on the bottom. If I find a method of resetting the gauge I will post another comment.

Mart