Thursday 14 June 2007

Fuel Update

I mentioned here that the petrol gauge drops as I drive along burning gas. After I topped up the tank last week to nearly half-full, it slowly dropped back down again. Four times in the last three weeks, for no apparent reason, it rose back up to show the correct level.

I checked to see if opening either the filler cap or the covering door was enough to trigger a correction, but it seems not, leaving me none the wiser.

Last week I needed to check the mileage for a journey I’d just finished. I’d just switched off the engine, so I replaced the key in the ignition and turned it to the ‘run’ position for several seconds, but without actually starting up. Very shortly into my next journey, the gauge was reading the correct level, making me wonder if messing with the key had been significant. More investigation is required…


[Update: It seems the fuel computer must be set to show 'range remaining'. Investigations continue]

No comments: